Saphira's mother was Vervada a wild dragon but, her sire was Iormúngr a dragon bonded to a Rider. It occurred to me that just as both Eragon and his father became Riders, perhaps, Vervada entrusted a single egg to the Riders, as a mark of love for her mate Iormúngr, and out of respect for his heritage, resulting in Saphira being descended from a line bonded with Riders. I wonder whether Saphira's patrilineal line is as follows:
- Saphira bonded to Eragon,
- Iormúngr bonded to an unknown rider,
- Saphira the dragon bonded to Brom.
Conversely, it could be argued that Vervada was the daughter of the Saphira bonded to Brom, and that Vervada made a conscious choice to remain unbonded. becoming a wild dragon in the process, but that out of respect for both her mother and Brom she consented and gave into the care of the Riders a single egg resulting in the following matrilineal line.
- Saphira who chose to hatch for and bond with Eragon because she sensed instinctually that he was her Rider
- Vervada who chose to remain unbonded and became a wild dragon
- Saphira who chose to hatch for and bond with Brom because she sensed instinctually that he was her Rider